In this tutorial I cover the following:
- Installing a free FTP program and connecting to your website
- Creating a database for WordPress.
- Installing WordPress.
- Configuring WordPress settings.
- Setting up permalinks.
- Writing and editing a post.
- Uploading images.
- Creating a blog roll (list of links).
- Setting up an about page.
- Installing a plugin.
- Setting up a contact page with a contact form.
The resulting site after Tutorial 1 is found at CelebCynic.
This only covers half the items I wanted to cover in the first screencast but it’s getting rather large already (~70MB) and long (30 minutes). The other items will be covered in part 2 of the tutorial.
If you find this helpful, please let me know!
If you’re feeling extremely grateful, I would appreciate accept any iTunes vouchers (in New Zealand we cannot legally buy music for iPods – our credit cards/Paypal accounts aren’t accepted).
Get actionable tips to grow your website
Thoughtful weekly insights (no hype!) on improving your website